The call to a worthy adventure indicates that a deeper sense of destiny
is summoning you, and wishes to transfer your inner compass
heading away from the what is most familiar,
to lived experiences that are ‘as-yet-unknown’ to you.
It also calls you to an inner territory worth exploring, a region of both risk and reward.
On our journey intensives, this will be represented by a distant land,
a vast spruce forest, a kingdom underground,
a lofty mountaintop, and a majestic cliff.
Expect Nothing, Be Ready For Anything
It a challenging task to provide a participant with an adequate sense of what to expect during our Hero’s Journey ® Intensive. In many ways, the proper way to prepare for a weeklong journey in a wilderness setting is to suspend one’s set of exceptions, and open up to what comes – beyond anything to be expected.
This is the whole point of a meaningful adventure.
When we believe that we know what will transpire before it actually takes place, our expectations can rob us of the opportunity to be awestruck and wonder-filled, as well as respectful of what can come to pass beyond what we are looking for.
Therefore, we encourage all of our participants to practice letting go of what is most familiar – to truly leave home – in order to see what new ground can be revealed, explored and lived, that would not come to you any other way.
That said, here are some basic expectations to have for your weeklong journey intensive in the mountains of West Virginia:
- You will have every opportunity to choose your own supports and challenges, and to be empowered beyond your current capacities.
- This is an inevitable fact for each man on his journey.
- You will be guided and supported by an experienced journey facilitation team.
- They have been specially trained for this type of wilderness adventure, and they will be advocates for your deeper inner process.
- You can expect to have new experiences for yourself, but you will not have to do them by yourself.
- You will be an essential part of a small group of allies who experience their own adventures together, with each man doing it his own way.
- You can expect to step beyond your comfort zones, in order to be awakened and enlivened in the most life-giving of ways.
- At the same time, you will be the one in charge of your own experience, capable of saying yes or no to any arising opportunity for adventure.
- You can expect many opportunities to let go, to open up, and to expand your mind’s ability to transcend your current ways of thinking and acting.
- This in another inevitable result of taking up this type of transformative journey.
- You will be taking this journey with men from the ages of 21 to 70, who will also travel to our mountain forest from across the US, South America & Europe.
- What one man does for himself, he does for the whole of the community. In our way of working, a rising tide lifts all the boats.
- We will expect of you to complete all of the necessary preparation steps.
- Your preparation work puts you in the best position to have positive and meaningful outcomes during your week on the mountain. Your way of preparing will inform your way of journeying.
Photos From Base Camp – Spruce Knob Mountain Center, West Virginia
Are You Ready To Take Your Journey?