The call to a worthy adventure indicates that a deeper sense of destiny is summoning a particular woman, and now wishes to transfer her inner compass heading away from the what is most familiar, to a zone that is as-yet-unknown to her. It is a call to an inner territory worth exploring, a region of both risk and reward. As she lives into her journey, this will very likely be represented by a distant land, a vast spruce forest, a kingdom underground, a lofty mountaintop, and a majestic cliff.
Expect Nothing, Be Ready For Anything
It a challenging task to provide a participant with an adequate sense of what to expect during our Hero’s Journey ® Intensive for Women. In many ways, the proper way to prepare for a weeklong journey in a wilderness setting is to suspend one’s set of exceptions, and open up to what comes that is beyond what is to be expected. This is the whole point of a meaningful (and potentially transformative) adventure.
When we believe that we know what will transpire before it actually takes place, it robs us of the opportunity to be awestruck and wonder-filled, as well as respectful of what can come to pass beyond what we are looking for. Therefore, we encourage all of our women participants to let go of what is most familiar for a few days – to truly leave home behind – in order to see what new ground can be revealed, explored and lived.
(Some images from the 2016 Journey)
That said, here are some basic expectations to have for our weeklong journey intensive in the mountains of West Virginia:
- You will have every opportunity to choose your own supports and challenges, and to be empowered beyond your current capacities. This is an inevitable fact for each journeyer.
- You will be guided and supported by a journey facilitator and helper who has been specially trained for this type of wilderness adventure, one that supports your deeper inner process.
- You can expect to have new experiences for yourself, but you will not have to do them by yourself. You will be an essential part of a small group of women who experience their own adventures together, each doing it her own way.
- You can expect to step beyond your comfort zones, in order to be awakened and enlivened in the most life-giving of ways. At the same time, you will be the one in charge of your own experience, capable of saying yes or no to any arising opportunity for adventure.
- You can expect many opportunities to let go, open up, and expand your mind’s ability to transcend your current ways of thinking and living. This is another inevitable fact of taking up a whole-hearted journey.
- You will be taking this journey with women from their 20’s to 70’s, who will also travel to our mountain forest from across the US, South America & Europe. What one woman does for herself, she does for the whole of the women’s community of journeyers. In our way of working, a rising tide lifts all the boats.
- We will expect of you to take all of the necessary preparation steps, both internal and external, to put you in the best position to have positive and meaningful outcomes during your week on the mountain. Your way of preparing will inform your way of journeying.
Photos From Base Camp – Spruce Knob Mountain Center, West Virginia
Our Participants Share…
“The women’s hero’s journey gave me the space and support for owning my life journey and treated me with all the love, respect and challenge we all deserve and, deep inside, long for. HJF is the most experiential and powerful process I’ve experienced.”
age 31 – Mechi, Schiedam, Netherlands
“On the Women’s Hero’s Journey, I feel that I’ve received emotional cleansing, mental clarity, and opening to spiritual energies and physical strength and balance in this nature-based setting. We all dipped into a well of untapped or forgotten depths that enriched my being in countless ways.”
age 51 – Michele, Florida, USA