The call to a worthy adventure indicates that a deeper sense of destiny begins to summon a young man – he longs for more for his life, and his future. He begins to transfer his inner compass heading away from the what is most familiar, to a zone that is as-yet-unknown to him.
It is a call to an inner territory worth exploring within himself, a region of both risk and reward. On our wilderness journeys, this will be represented in a distant land in West Virginia – a vast spruce forest, a kingdom underground, a lofty mountaintop, and a majestic cliff.
Expect Nothing, Be Ready For Anything
It a challenging task to provide a participant with an adequate sense of what to expect during our Hero’s Journey ® Intensive for Young Men. In many ways, the proper way to prepare for a weeklong journey in a wilderness setting is to suspend one’s set of exceptions, and open up to what comes that is beyond what is to be expected. This is the whole point of a meaningful (and potentially transformative) adventure.
When we believe that we know what will transpire before it actually takes place, it robs us of the opportunity to be awestruck and wonder-filled, as well as respectful of what can come to pass beyond what we are looking for. Therefore, we encourage all of our participants to let go of what is most familiar for a few days – to truly leave home – in order to see what new ground can be revealed, explored and lived.
That said, here are some basic expectations to have for our weeklong journey intensive for young men in the mountains of West Virginia:
- You will have every opportunity to choose your own supports and challenges, and to be empowered beyond your current capacities. This is an inevitable fact for each journeyer.
- You will be guided and supported by adult journey facilitators who have been specially trained for this type of wilderness adventure, one that will support your deeper self.
- You can expect to have new experiences for yourself, but you will not have to do them by yourself. You will be an essential part of a small group of young men who experience their own adventures together, each learning how to find his own way to accomplish meaningful tasks.
- You can expect to step beyond your comfort zones, in order to be awakened and enlivened in the most life-giving of ways. At the same time, you will be expected to become the one in charge of your own experience, capable of saying yes or no to any arising opportunity for adventure.
- You can expect many opportunities to let go, open up, and expand your mind and body’s ability to transcend your current ways of thinking and acting. This in another inevitable fact of taking up a whole-hearted journey.
- You will be taking this journey with young men from the ages of 13 and 18, who will also travel to our mountain forest from across the US, South America & Europe. What one young man does for himself, he does for the whole of his community. In our way of working, a rising tide lifts all the boats in the sea.
- We will expect of you to take all of the necessary preparation steps, both internal and external, to put you in the best position to have positive and meaningful outcomes during your week on the mountain. Your way of preparing will inform your way of journeying.
Photos From Base Camp – Spruce Knob Mountain Center, West Virginia
Are You Ready To Take Your Journey?