Men's Soul Tavern Retreat Preparations
“We’re in a free fall into the future. We don’t know where we are going. Things are changing so fast. And always when you are going through a long tunnel, anxiety comes along. But all you have to do to transform your hell into a paradise is to turn your fall into a voluntary act. It’s a very interesting shift of perspective….joyfully participate in the sorrows of the world and everything changes.”
– Joseph Campbell
Preparing For Your Men’s Online Soul Tavern Retreat
For this upcoming retreat, we will be working with content from two texts:
1. The first reference is a poem from Tom Hirons called, “Sometimes A Wild God”. His short book based on the poem will anchor us on what it takes to bring new life forth in challenging times.
2. The second book is the latest work of James Hollis, entitles Living Between Worlds: Finding Personal Resilience In Changing Times. Hollis encourages us to encompass the relationship between our inner struggles and the rapidly shifting realities of modern human existence. He reminds us that the path through for us will always rely on our connection to a reality larger than ourselves.
You are especially encouraged to read Chapter 8 – Navigating Changing Times, and Chapter 9 – A Map To Meaning. Plan to bring a JOURNAL to the retreat, to record important encounters and insights that emerge in unexpected ways during our conversations and self-reflection times.
– Listen to to this episode of the podcast “This Jungian Life” – Humanizing The Hero. https://thisjungianlife.com/episode-188-humanizing-the-hero/
“Unlike mythical heroes, everyday heroes struggle—and living fully into a larger purpose serves their personal development. Recent history has humanized the archetype of the hero and brought it down to earth. The new myth is about every man’s heroic energy for individuation and meaning. “
– Listen to these short, most recent podcasts on On Being, by Krista Tippett, called December Musings.
– Listen to this Rumi poem on Poetry UnBound, You Wake The Dead To Life, read .
More preparation material, including COVID information, retreat start and ending times etc, can be found here : https://herosjourneyfoundation.org/soul-tavern-retreat-preparation/
“…the Buddhists say the way of living in the world is joyful participation in the sorrows of the world. It’s the way of the one who is grounded in eternity and moving in the field of time. The field of time is the field of sorrow. Life is sorrowful. How do you live with that?
You realize the eternal within yourself and participate with joy in the sorrows of the world out there. You play the game. It hurts, but you know that you have found the place that is transcendent of injury and fulfillments. You are there and that’s it.”